Re: Yet another Sydney derailment

Nihonga wrote:

> As I was on the train that derailed. I didn't think he was going that
> fast but he mis-judged his braking. The carraige jerked as it came to a
> stop but apart from that no other indication.Everyone on board didn't
> think anything was wrong until told to get off the train. I was in the
> second carriage, it may have been different in the front.
> As I was going over the foorbridge, a person in a guards uniform yelled
> out "People like that shouldn't drive trains!" He looked really annoyed.
> I'm glad I decided to catch the earlier train!!

Did the train stop once about halfway down the platform?  There is an
intermediate trip set at about 8 km/h to make sure the train has slowed down
before reaching the red signal.  One story I heard was that the train tripped on
on the low speed trip, then accelerated and went through the stick at the end of
the platform.  At Hornsby, that is very easy to do.   Hornsby is a very short
platform, and with a K set, to get the rear doors on the platform you need to go
right to the signal.  The signal is about 5 metres before the end of the
platform.  If you go to the end of the platform, you have passed the signal and
are already in the dirt.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au