Re: Cumberland Line was (Re: NYE Fireworks in Sydney)

I could be cynical for thinking that the main Northern Line suburban service
will never be upgraded because of the M2 tollway. I think it was the 1994 or
so timetable that introduced a 15 minute service on the main Northern Line.
Gosford and further points north must be marginal seats since main northern
suburban services are often cancelled if there is a late running
Newcastle/Wyong/Gosford service.  The station master on Cheltenham station
told me that Hornsby box just rings up and says the train is cancelled
without explanation.  On one occasion they rang him and said the 7.15 am up
train was 5 minutes late. 5 minutes later they rang and said it was now
cancelled. When he asked for an explanation they told him to get stuffed.
The late running V set came through at 7.20 am. That meant a half hour delay
which is totally unacceptable in a peak period.  Why can't the V set at
least pick up between Hornsby and Epping?  Why are the mental coast types so
privileged?  By the way, can anybody supply 'phone numbers for Hornsby
control, or for that matter all of the control centres so that next time I
can ring them and tell them what I think of their boof headed attitude to
paying passengers.

Cheers

Rod Gayford
"Garry Hoddinett" <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
84ohn7$2bgu$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:84ohn7$2bgu$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Hubert Lam <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
> 84nkv9$ab8$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:84nkv9$ab8$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> > Main North has the most intercity (ie Gosford/Wyong/Newcastle) trains
> > running on it though--it is as frequent as suburban services in the off
> > peak. Plus the goods trains that must pass through...it makes it really
> > difficult to maintain punctuality on the line.
>
> Intercity services in the Off Peak run at 2 per hour and alternate between
> stopping at Epping and Eastwood.  This still gives a lousy service to
these
> stations leaving the rest of the line a very poor 30 minute off peak
> frequency.  Freight trains are still infrequent in the whole scheme of
> things so I don't think they can be an excuse for a poor off peak service.
> Further, up freight train services are faster than the suburban trains.
As