Re: Cumberland Line was (Re: NYE Fireworks in Sydney)

Hubert Lam <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
84nkv9$ab8$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:84nkv9$ab8$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Main North has the most intercity (ie Gosford/Wyong/Newcastle) trains
> running on it though--it is as frequent as suburban services in the off
> peak. Plus the goods trains that must pass through...it makes it really
> difficult to maintain punctuality on the line.

Intercity services in the Off Peak run at 2 per hour and alternate between
stopping at Epping and Eastwood.  This still gives a lousy service to these
stations leaving the rest of the line a very poor 30 minute off peak
frequency.  Freight trains are still infrequent in the whole scheme of
things so I don't think they can be an excuse for a poor off peak service.
Further, up freight train services are faster than the suburban trains.  As
the line handles a considerably enhanced peak hour service then it should be
able to handle 2 additional off peak services per hour with no problems.