Re: [NSW] Indicator Board - Wrong Destination

Blame the passengers (customers) - bad approach.

If a store announced over the PA numerous times that an item cost $5, I
picked it up and went to the counter, was focusing on pulling out my money
at the checkout when a corrective announcement of $10 was made and I found
later that I'd paid $10 and not $5 I'd be pissed off.  That's how these
passengers felt.  As far as I'm aware no one went to any extra length to
advise that the indicator and announcements were wrong - an essential step
(and a bare minimum) considering the timing of the correction after the
train had stopped at the platform.

Most people are generally reasonable (shock horror disbelief) and will
happily live with a clear, comprehensive and timely corrective announcement
(yeah they'll grunt and groan but only the ones with a tenuous grip on
reality go ballistic) rather than losing 5% of their day because they didn't
listen to a revised platform announcement that made no mention of an error
or a correction (that's a good reason to lose it unfortunately).

The mind set that the passenger has it wrong and the attendant contempt for
passengers is a significant problem for CityRail.  You only need see the
difference in passenger reaction when a delay occurs and an announcement is
made (even if it can't advise the length of the delay) compared with the
frequent deathly silence that often accompanies a delay.

Wow - this is almost as good as having a shot at Miranda Devine or Piers
Ackerman in the Tele's letters to the editor.  I'll jump off my soap box
now.

Chris

884qeo$ph9$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:884qeo$ph9$1@news1.mpx.com.au...