Re: [NSW] Tangara modifications

Hubert Lam wrote in message <87rd4b$jhq$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>So what's with the difference in the fleet of T sets that are numbered 61xx
>and 62xx?

No difference - with 370 Tangara cars (as built on the original order), half
of which are motors, half trailers (giving 185 of each) it is obviously
impossible to number them all in the same series with the same first two
digits. They were numbered from 6101 to 6285 (of the original order) and
5101 to 5285 (of the original order).

As for the internal modifications, they are extremely minor, and does not
fit into the modifications that I mentioned.

>obviously the 62xx batch is much newer but they also do not
>feature the "pull" thingy on their doors. Also the last batch of T sets
>(625x and on) featured the doors opening and closing warning sounds.

As did the first lot, but it was subsequently disabled. They are *supposed*
to be re-enabling it, in order to do away with the "Stand clear, doors
closing" announcements, but like anything to do with CityRail, it is all
half-cocked (again).

>Another difference is the handrail design in the earlier T sets: they
aren't
>the standard stainless steel tube-style handrail but rather a black plastic
>rail.

That was only the first 16 cars.

>So I guess there have been modifications, but only cosmetic ones.

And extremely minor ones, modifications that would have had an extremely
minor effect on the price.

The modifications I was thinking of were a wholesale change to set
formations, things that would have rquired totally new designs, rather than
slight amendments to the plans.

Dave