Re: Goodbye Overland - We All Let You Down!

thalytgv@my-deja.com wrote in message <87836k$fpq$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>Get the train in around 18:30 as a "cafe on the platform" I think
>most of the commuters/ country travellers are happy to use them and no
>point of leaving the carriages in the shed all day. That was what
>Sydney/Melbourne Express did with their "Murray Resturant".
>Sydney/Melbourne Express usually pulled in an hour an half before the
>departure and served dinner to all passengers regardless of they
>travelling this train or not.

The cost would be prohibitive - for this to work, you would need to get the
crew in there at around 1800 - considering the arrival time of the Overland
at the other end is 0845, this would amount to a 15 hour shift for the crew,
possibly pushing them into higher pay brackets.

Would the profits from sales exceed the cost of the extra wages, in addition
to fuel usage by the power car?

Dave