Re: [VIC] Hurstbridge line, working museum?

Sam Eades wrote:

Sam, thanks for the nostalgic signalling trip.. just as an addition to that,
technology has crept in to Eltham slightly as there is a Searchlight signal
protecting the Level crossing on the down, and the Up and Down home signals
are GEC 2position light signals operated by wire, a counter weight and a
"switch" (contacter). A little 'civilisation' bought to a unique safeworking
operation.

> This line is often taken for granted, but long may this extrmely safe,
> reliable system go on (how long has it been since there was an incident
> involving 2 trains on this line?)! All we need to do is restore a
> red-rattler to run regular service with!

Unfortunately, within the last 5-10 years (cannot remember exactly), the
human element came into force and caused a "head-on" with 2 trains at
Diamond Creek.

Back before the second platform was built, trains in the peak crossed (and
still do) at Diamond Creek. The only difference was that after the Up train
arrived at DCR, it set back (as it still had the staff) and pulled into the
loop to cross the down train. But one day..

Eltham replaces the ELT-HBE staff with 2 staffs for this period ELT-DCR &
DCR-HBE.

The down carried both staffs by mistake from ELT one afternoon (error #1),
handed the ELT-DCR out at DCR and continued to HBE.. the 'signaller' noticed
the mistake and before securing his signals at STOP, drove the staff back to
ELT for the next train. (error #2)

The signaller at ELT handed the staff to the waiting spark and pulled off
for the train to depart for the now unattended DCR (error#3)

When the Down train arrived at DCR, the now UP train was sitting in the
platform with the staff waiting for the signaller, as the station is usually
unattended, the signals are at proceed for both directions under the ELT-HBE
staff.

The DOWN train with the ELT-DCR staff applied the brakes and hit the UP
train (bit of a jolt, but no big problem..)

Thats about the only "event" I have ever heard of...

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.

  Never be afraid to try something new.