[VIC] Hurstbridge line, working museum?

Who would have thought in 2000, that such antiquities would still
survive like those on the Hurstbridge line! The further you go on the
Hurstbridge line, the further back in time you seem to go!

Starting at Flinders Street, platform 1, with nice new tiles and lifts,
you encounter the most modern signalling Hillside trains has to offer,
LED. LED signals will tke you out to Jolimont, when you start to slip
back in time to 3 position Semaphore automatic signals. Then at Victoria
Park, you are jolted back into the present with remote controlled points
and access gates at the stabling sidings.

After leaving the METROL operated Clifton Hillthings are pretty much
standard (apart from the short section of single line at Rosanna,
operated under that curious safeworking system of "Yard limits") until
you arrive at Greensborough.
This is where things get interesting: the ritual of the signaller
rushing out and giving the staff (which (s)he has just withdrawn from
the electric staff instrument ) to the driver. The driver the has
permission to start travelling further back into time, with 2 position
signals.
At Eltham, an even older system will take over, staff and ticket. Not
only that, but Eltham is completely controlled by 2 position Semaphore
signals, as well as mechanical points!
After eltham, we come to Diamond Creek, this is about as far back in
time as Safety will allow us to travel as we approach a Non interlocked
station. Yes, that's right, in 2000, we have come from LED signals to a
non interlocked station, complete with plunger locked points, all on our
commute into Hurstbridge!

This line is often taken for granted, but long may this extrmely safe,
reliable system go on (how long has it been since there was an incident
involving 2 trains on this line?)! All we need to do is restore a
red-rattler to run regular service with!

Sam Eades