Re: [VIC] Hurstbridge line, working museum?

In article <3895114D.2181BCAF@yahoo.com>,
  Sam Eades <eadess@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Who would have thought in 2000, that such antiquities would still
> survive like those on the Hurstbridge line! The further you go on the
> Hurstbridge line, the further back in time you seem to go!
>
> Starting at Flinders Street, platform 1, with nice new tiles and
lifts,
> you encounter the most modern signalling Hillside trains has to offer,
> LED. LED signals will tke you out to Jolimont, when you start to slip
> back in time to 3 position Semaphore automatic signals. Then at
Victoria
> Park, you are jolted back into the present with remote controlled
points
> and access gates at the stabling sidings.
>
> After leaving the METROL operated Clifton Hillthings are pretty much
> standard (apart from the short section of single line at Rosanna,
> operated under that curious safeworking system of "Yard limits") until
> you arrive at Greensborough.
> This is where things get interesting: the ritual of the signaller
> rushing out and giving the staff (which (s)he has just withdrawn from
> the electric staff instrument ) to the driver. The driver the has
> permission to start travelling further back into time, with 2 position
> signals.
> At Eltham, an even older system will take over, staff and ticket. Not
> only that, but Eltham is completely controlled by 2 position Semaphore
> signals, as well as mechanical points!
> After eltham, we come to Diamond Creek, this is about as far back in
> time as Safety will allow us to travel as we approach a Non
interlocked
> station. Yes, that's right, in 2000, we have come from LED signals to
> non interlocked station, complete with plunger locked points, all on
our
> commute into Hurstbridge!
>
> This line is often taken for granted, but long may this extrmely safe,
> reliable system go on (how long has it been since there was an
incident
> involving 2 trains on this line?)! All we need to do is restore a
> red-rattler to run regular service with!
>
> Sam Eades
Good idea!
and link up with local tourist attraction like Eltham Market, Kinglake
National Park, Mordern art Museum at Heidelberg, Diamond Creek railway,
etc.

Actaully same can achieve with Sandringham line, with its close
proxmiate with Chapel/Grapville street shopping distrct, Windsor
Station, Rippon Lea Estate, Brighton Beach and the very last Swing-gate
crossing just off Brighton Beach.

--
Cheers
James