Re: Goodbye Overland - We All Let You Down!

thalytgv@my-deja.com wrote in message <876kpm$c27$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>\> I went and had a look when in Melbourne - the "Club" Car is an
>absolute
>> joke - it is nothing more than a glorified dining car, and is barely
>a patch
>> on the old Overland Club Car that we all knew and loved.
>>
>> Dave
>
>No Dave,  the Kookaburra Club Car is more then just a "joke", it
>provides good breakfast service and reasonable comfort, most of the
>passenger won't stay there for more then half hour anyway, If you don't
>believe it try the alternative.....airline food.

It is a joke - compared with what was on the train before. The old Overland
Club Cars provided surroundings where people could relax in comfort over a
few drinks before retiring for the night.

With the current cars, GSR seem to have adopted an attitude of "feed em and
get them back to their seat/berth as soon as possible).

>Actually GSR can try to bring carriages into Spnecer Street earlier and
>serve passengers dinner, just like what Sydney/Melbourne Express did.

Would be fairly late in the evening (at Melbourne at least) and would there
be the demand? The dining end of the carriage is only for sleeper
passengers, remember, and there are normally a maximum of 40 of them.

Dave