Re: Tassie Garratt

"Garry Hoddinett" <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
PPIl4.16097$3b6.66851@ozemail.com.au">news:PPIl4.16097$3b6.66851@ozemail.com.au...

> Andrew Price <aprice@mail.dotcom.fr> wrote in message
> g1vd9skm61t24arpi0ed87pd5fivd3e0ej@4ax.com">news:g1vd9skm61t24arpi0ed87pd5fivd3e0ej@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 09:16:50 GMT, "John Browning"
> > <ceo8@rocknet.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > >Sad thing is that if the Tassie Government had seen sense and gone for
> the
> > >restoration of the NE Dundas Tramway, we could have offered the first
> > >Garratt a place on its original line.
> >
> > Where was it built?
>
> It was built by Beyer & Peacock and I think it was built at their Groton
> works in Manchester (UK).

I'm sure you meant Gorton works, must have been a typo.
If you are interested in some trivia both the first and last Garratts built
by Beyer Peacock at Gorton are located at the same railway in Wales, I think
it is Caernarfon (sp?). The first is, of course K1 and the last is an NGG16
built for an African railway in 1958. But, if the stories are true, K1 is
actually K1.5 because a lot of the parts are from K2 (we're back to the
thread about swapping parts and loco identities again).

--
Regards,
Chris Stratton