Re: Goodbye Overland - We All Let You Down!

Greg Triplett wrote in message <3896CE8E.FBA5194C@hotkey.net.au>...

>I don't remember the exact details but just that I made that
>one trip because there was a special $50 return fare
>advertised and that I didn't want to go on it again even if
>the fare was 50 cents. I remember rough ride and slow (
>10-12 hours or some such ) including forever to get from
>Murray Bridge to ADL. I remember dirty windows, noisy
>passengers. Yuk who needs it.

$50 return? Even in the eighties, I doubt that that would have been a
sleeper (although I stand to be corrected on this one). I remember getting a
child ticket (child, not concession) from Albury to Adelaide in 1980 for
about $35.

If it was indeed a seat, and an economy seat at that, it is a bit much to
condemn a whole train based on an experience in the lowest standard of
accommodation offered. It would be like saying that QANTAS are awful based
on a trip in Y class (when I can attest that their P class is superb).

Dave