Re: Pendennis Castle_MUA

What groups was responsible with discussions with Rio Tinto? (NSW, VIC, WA?)
As for the cost I really doubt if the cost of transport would affect Rio Tinto.
(one of largest mining companies in the world) They are capable to transport it
to any capital city in Australia. The cost and transport would be "chicken
feed" to them as heavy equipment gets shipped up there all the time. A
transport company would surely have a empty low loader going back which could
be given free or at cost.
The poms have been after this for years and it wasn't until the merger that
formed Rio that they have been able to have some success.
The fact of the matter is Rio turns over billions of dollars a year, how much
does it donate to rail preservation in Australia? instead it supports a uk
group. (as it was given free to Ditcot I can't see why a australian
organisation would have not grabbed it under the same conditions).
Maybe you guys mght get upset when Rio ultimately disposes of the other old
locomotives they have up there. My understanding is they don't want anything up
there which could expose them to another class action. And I suspect that they
might take the gas axe to them if nobody wants them.

cheers

Chris