Re: Pendennis Castle_MUA

The reality to this is that at least one Australian mainline operator was
involved in discussions with the owners of Pendennis Castle and they chose
not to proceed with it. My understanding is they wanted it for free,
transported to their location for nothing and the restoration paid for. The
deal with Didcott is that the GWS pay for the transport and restoration
costs. Without wishing to get involved any further in this debate, which
proposal would sound better to a Company like Rio Tinto? Also it has not
been pointed out but there was no chance of the loco ever being restored to
run again in the Pilbara as the group up there is down to just 3 members.
Another point is that I spoke to a contact in the Heritage Council and
advised him of the situation. Whilst this matter is not under their
jurisdiction he pointed out that the loco had only been in Australia for
just over 20 years and that it's historical significance is associated with
the United Kingdom. Here in Australia it was never used in revenue service
and as I understand it was initially brought out to promote tourism in the
region. One thing is certain, if it does go to Didcott it will be restored
to run again with proper coaches behind it.
Cheers
Bob