Re: Pendennis Castle_MUA

But your arguement is illogical.  If you say return Pendenis Castle to the
UK because it has no relevance to Australia then surely the F7 and the S1
should be returned to the USA.  What about the ex Zephyr General Pershing
car thats up there too. I am sure there are plenty of of US groups that
would take such stock. I really get the impression that a core of the group
who subscribe to Ausrail are anti union since you seem to get very upset at
union involvement. If the unions by a black ban can keep the Castle here
then all power to them. My position is still that I do not want to see
Didicot get the loco. I have no intention of ever travelling to the UK so my
only chance is to see it here.
Cheers
Rod Gayford
"James Brook" <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3892A811.DB0056F8@ozemail.com.au">news:3892A811.DB0056F8@ozemail.com.au...
> chris@enet21.com.au wrote:
>
> > The fact of the matter is Rio turns over billions of dollars a year, how
much
> > does it donate to rail preservation in Australia?
>
> As I have said before, we have enough locos to look after. I would like
you to
> answer one simple question. How can you justify keeping a foreign loco
here that
> has no relevance to Australian history when we already have far too many
steam
> locomotives that are historically significant to Australia and not enough
resources
> to look after them all? If we keep the Pendennis Castle in Australia then
it means
> we have less resources available to look after our own locos. Railway
preservation
> in Australia doesn't have a never-ending supply of money and volunteer
labour.

> > instead it supports a uk
> > group. (as it was given free to Ditcot I can't see why a australian
> > organisation would have not grabbed it under the same conditions).
>
> It is a UK loco so it is only fair that a UK preservation group gets it. I
would
> not be happy if Rio Tinto were about to ship an Australian loco off to the
Didcot
> Railway Museum.
>
> > Maybe you guys mght get upset when Rio ultimately disposes of the other
old
> > locomotives they have up there. My understanding is they don't want
anything up
> > there which could expose them to another class action. And I suspect
that they
> > might take the gas axe to them if nobody wants them.
>
> Those other diesels should go to an Australian preservation group. If the
ARHS