Re: Pendennis Castle_MUA

Rod Gayford wrote:

> But your arguement is illogical.  If you say return Pendenis Castle to the
> UK because it has no relevance to Australia then surely the F7 and the S1
> should be returned to the USA.

The F7 and the S2 were used by Mt Newman and Hammersley Iron for construction
and early operations. The Pendennis Castle was purchased for the sole purpose of
running a tourist train, nothing else. The F7 and the S2 had a role in
developing the railroads of the Pilbara, the Pendennis Castle didn't. This means
the F7 and the S2 are historically relevant to Australia while the Pendennis
Castle has more historical relevance to the UK and the development of their
railways.

> What about the ex Zephyr General Pershing
> car thats up there too. I am sure there are plenty of of US groups that
> would take such stock.

If there is anything that was not used by the mining companies for anything
other than tourist trains then they should be sent back to their original
country where they will be looked after instead of rusting away in an Australian
museum that doesn't have funds to look after them properly.

> I really get the impression that a core of the group
> who subscribe to Ausrail are anti union since you seem to get very upset at
> union involvement.

I am not anit-union. Unions have their place but sometimes they get carried away
and demand too much or they cause trouble as a form of revenge against large
companies. Whether the companies deserve it or not, this sort of behaviour makes
the unions look like nothing more than a bunch of rabble just out for attention.

> If the unions by a black ban can keep the Castle here
> then all power to them.

The unions should be concerned with looking after the rights of their members,
not stirring trouble over something that doesn't affect the rights of their
employees. Exporting the Pendennis Castle will not affect the wages, working
conditions or anything else for members of the various Australian unions. I hope
the MUA ignores requests like yours.
> My position is still that I do not want to see

> Didicot get the loco. I have no intention of ever travelling to the UK so my
> only chance is to see it here.

And what about the people who can't afford to travel from the UK to Australia.
Should they miss out on seeing a piece of their history? If seeing the loco
running was so important to you then why didn't you go to the Pilbara to see it
a few years ago? What about the Flying Scotsman? No one complained when it was
sent back to the UK after its tour of Australia. Once we had it out here, why
did we give it back? According to what your arguments, the MUA should have black
banned its return so other Australians could see something that is a part of
British heritage.

I think the best thing would be if the loco was returned to service in
Australia. It could tour the mainland standard gauge network for a few years
before it is sent overseas. This would give people like you the chance to see
it. Unfortunately this will not happen, but I think returning it to the UK is
better than leaving it here to rust.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: