Re: Drivers and guards to be sacked.

In article <39A4968D.25991F44@ozemail.com.au>,
  L & D <daisyw@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> signal_spotter@my-deja.com wrote:
>

> > David, you work for the government. You can have this slap happy
> > attitude when you work for the government. I know, I worked for
State
> > Rail for 16 years. Crimey, when I was an apprentice we used to go to
> > the pub most afternoons and our boss would ring the pub whenever a
loco
> > came in to renew. When I was at ACDEP, I used to catnap in the
Indian
> > Pacific cars. And we nearly went out on strike when management
> > threatened to take away our table tennis tables at the workshop.
> > However try having a slap happy attitude working for a private
company.
> > Our company has a dress code and we stick to it because we want to
and
> > because we're proud of what we do. In the office it's smart casual
ie
> > polo shirt, trousers etc. When we deal with clients it's business
shirt
> > and tie. Now I could say to the boss, no I don't want to wear a
tie, I
> > want to look like a slob at a meeting but that will not only tarnish
> > the company's image but personally mine as well.
> >
> > regards Ian
> > Signal Design Engineer
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> I have always found the difference between the operating grades and
other
> grades amusing if I decided to go to the pub while working in the
operating
> grades I don't think any trains would have run past my location but
office
> staff never had that worry some seemed to have pub lunches every
other day.

> Davo

Yeah, I must admit that it was a culture shock for me when I got
promoted into Transport House back in 1984. It was common for staff to
have long lunches at the many pubs below the office. There was even a
time when the big boss (no names mentioned but he went on to run the
ABC) invited us down to his office for free drinks. I was shocked.
Anyway none of that happens in private industry. :-)

regards Ian