Re: Drivers and guards to be sacked.

In article <39A3F532.CE7B4B28@ozemail.com.au>,
  trainman@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> David Bradshaw wrote:
>
> > OK everyone, here is a hypothetical situation for you.
> >
> > You are the operator of a business. This business is essentially
> > engaged in servicing the general public (as opposed to a business-
to-
> > business model).
> >
> > You have an employee, lets call him Fred, whose role involves a
> > considerable technical component, which is required to ensure the
> > smooth operation of the business and, in turn, the smooth, safe and
> > effective delivery of the service to the customer. However, Fred's
role
> > also involves a high degree of interaction with the public, and is
> > highly visible to the public - he is part of the business's public
face.

> > Whilst he has been performing his technical skills well, his poor
> > appearance has been negatively impacting on the appearance of the
> > business, and contributing to a poor public perception of the
business.

> > Unfortunately, Fred's appearance has been below par. Company policy
> > requires the wearing of a uniform, and this uniform includes a tie.
> > Fred has not been wearing his tie, as required by company policy,
and
> > also has been wearing his shirt untucked with the top few buttons
> > undone.
> >
> > Fred has already been counselled regarding this on multiple
occasions.
> > He still refused to wear his uniform as required. Therefore Fred was
> > given a formal warning. However, Fred continues to flout the
reasonable
> > instructions of you, his employer.
> >
> > What is his employer to do? Fred has not heeded multiple warnings
> > regarding his conduct, and ignores the instructions of you the
employer.

> If I was an employer, I would not require anyone in my business to
wear a tie.
> In Fred's case, I would try to find out why he doesn't want to wear
his uniform
> as required, and take his feelings into consideration.  Perhaps he is
allergic
> to the material.
>
> --
> David Johnson
> trainman@ozemail.com.au
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
> ------------------------------------
> These comments are made in a private
> capacity and do not represent the
> official view of State Rail.
> C.O.W.S. Page 11.

David, you work for the government. You can have this slap happy
attitude when you work for the government. I know, I worked for State
Rail for 16 years. Crimey, when I was an apprentice we used to go to
the pub most afternoons and our boss would ring the pub whenever a loco
came in to renew. When I was at ACDEP, I used to catnap in the Indian
Pacific cars. And we nearly went out on strike when management
threatened to take away our table tennis tables at the workshop.
However try having a slap happy attitude working for a private company.
Our company has a dress code and we stick to it because we want to and
because we're proud of what we do. In the office it's smart casual ie
polo shirt, trousers etc. When we deal with clients it's business shirt
and tie. Now I could say to the boss, no I don't want to wear a tie, I
want to look like a slob at a meeting but that will not only tarnish
the company's image but personally mine as well.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.