Re: Tramway nostalgia - Melbourne Age article

"David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in
message 39A389EC.5FCB@iprolink.co.nz">news:39A389EC.5FCB@iprolink.co.nz...

8nuclu$stt$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8nuclu$stt$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > > There's quite a sweet piece in tomorrow's Age (Wednesday)
about the

http://www.theage.com.au/news/20000823/A20767-2000Aug22.html

> .
> > Thanks James for bringing this item to the NG, would have
missed it
> > otherwise in this SMH territory.
>

> It was wrong though in saying it was 1041 that disgraced
itself on its
> first run by breaking down. Ha. I was on 1041's first run,
which was on
> a Sunday in 1973, on route 88. It ran fine all day and I still
have
> dozens of photos to prove it.
>
> It was Z1 no 5 (or one or more of its fellows) which broke
down
> ignominously on its first public run, two years later in 1975,
carrying
> state members of Parliament from Preston Workshops to
Parliament. Very
> embarrassing, especially after it was publicised in advance as
the first
> time in memory parliamentarians had taken a tram to work.
>
> David McLoughlin
> Auckland New Zealand

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, I suppose.
:)

How did you come to be on the firts run of 1041?
Dvaid Lindstrom