Re: (OT) The new Jay Jay Jeans ads (the one with the ticket inspector)

I recall the porters in Melbourne shutting the gates as trains came to
a halt. It was SOP.

I think the idea was to trap people getting off the train into showing
their tickets, more so than any form of protection for the last minute
sprinters. In fact, it was not uncommon for a porter to open a closed
gate to let some late-comer through, particularly if they were a
regular traveller.

But these days, tickets seem to have gone out of fashion...

Paul Blair

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:17:18 GMT, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>"Eddie Oliver" <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message
>39081959.91CB874F@efs.mq.edu.au">news:39081959.91CB874F@efs.mq.edu.au...
>> David Johnson wrote:
>>
>> > I seem to recall that it was Victoria that was trialling the idea of
>shutting
>> > the platform gates as the train was arriving at the platform...
>>
>> Trialling? It used to be standard practice at Melbourne suburban
>> stations for the station attendant to shut the gate as the train came to
>> a stand. When did that practice die out? When the doggies and Taits
>> departed the scene?
>
>Probably when they got rid of attended stations.
>
>Dave

Paul Blair
pblair@pcug.org.au