Re: (OT) The new Jay Jay Jeans ads (the one with the ticket inspector)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:59:29 +1000, David Johnson
<trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrotj:

>Michael Kurkowski wrote:
>
>> To me it looks like just another self-opinionated Cityrail employee who
>> hates the work, and would rather the passengers didn't exist. No wonder
>> Cityrail is the aparent disaster that it is now. Perhaps if some of the
>> employees showed compassion to those who pay their wages, they might get
>> something in return for it. If not, then passengers will move off in
>> droves, and cause Cityrail to cancel services, decrease frequency, and most
>> importantly make more workers redundant. Lets see who whinges then.
>
>I seem to recall that it was Victoria that was trialling the idea of shutting
>the platform gates as the train was arriving at the platform...

When I was a young man in the late 60s, commuting to the city to work,
this is exactly what happened.  All stations were manned, and the
attendant shut the gates as the train arrived.  That stopped last
minute arrivals from boarding the train, and then after the gate was
opened, the tickets were collected on the way out.  What a novel idea
:-)

Cheers...JD

John Dennis                             jdennis@mpx.com.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:  http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jdennis/dbt.html