Re: Regulation 206 [Was: Rod Speed]

Seppo Renfors <srenfors@!nojunk!adelaide.on.net> wrote in message
37ef4f48@duster.adelaide.on.net">news:37ef4f48@duster.adelaide.on.net...

> In relation to the ticket "validation" issue. I think you need to simply
> look at it with ordinary common sense. The purpose of it is to actually
> "invalidate" the ticket so it cannot be used again, if a single fare
> ticket. Multifare tickets, it is a count-down to nil. Not to do so
> obviously is an attempt at getting a ride for nothing because it could be
> reused later if not "validated". Therefor not to have a "validated ticket"
> whilst on the transport is to not have a valid ticket. To have a an
> un-validated ticket outside the areas requiring validation is a totally
> mute point, of no interest. Never having used such in Australia, I'm not
> familiar with them here but it takes no Philadelphia Lawyer to work out
the
> purpose.

But the real purpose of "validating" tickets in Victoria is so that revenue
can be apportioned between the two rail companies and the two tram
companies. They have some formula in place based on the numbers of
passengers they carry.

The regulation clearly states that a ticket requiring machine validation
must be validated if an operable machine is available.

BUT - here is the rub. If a daily ticket is already validated for that day,
does it have to be inserted into the machine on the tram again? Some say it
is already valid, so it does not. Others (including myself) say that a
strict interpretation of the regulation MUST conclude that validation is
necessary on each and every trip.

Over to the REAL lawyers.

DaveP