Re: QR going national?

WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote:

> > So what? It's their railway.

> Ok - if they buy NR, then from the border to Albury is NSW's railway. I was
> merely commenting on them wanting to compete nationally on OTHER railways,
> but not allowing it on their own.

I agree it's a dog-in-the-manger prospect, but that's often business
reality. cf the big iron ore railways if you don't believe me.

> > So? Once again, it's QR's track. They own it, and run it effectively.

> So we can apply the same principle when they try and move in elsewhere?

Nothing stopping the metaphorical you, of course.

I personally can't see anybody even trying to muscle in on QR turf at
the moment. Encouraging competition on a rather discouraged, rundown and
undervalued railway system is surely different to encouraging same upon
a well maintained and progressive QR.

To sum up: If they have the money, resources and vision - why not? If
they're running their own concerns in Queensland efficiently and
profitably, what gaineth they by letting in other players?

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland