Re: QR going national?

WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote:

> Peter Dwyer <peter.dwyer@qr.com.au> wrote in message

> > Wrong. Other railway companies are permitted to operate in Queensland.

> Only when it suits QR.

So what? It's their railway.

> > NRC, and the Airport Rail Link mob instantly come to mind.

> None of that is in competition to QR.

... at the moment.

> >  Are you getting confused because of the gauge difference?

> >  I do not believe that you know what you are talking about. Would you care
> > to disclose actual proof or will you continue to crap on?

> I am quite sure that if I wished to purchase some narrow gauge locos, plus
> rolling stock, employ some qualified drivers, and wished to run coal trains
> in competition to QR, I would not be able to do so.

So? Once again, it's QR's track. They own it, and run it effectively.

What QR is doing, DP, is making hay while the sun shines - using the
income from their benevolent monopoly to cross-subsidise improvements in
rolling-stock and infrastructure whilt they have the opportunity. Sound
business sense.

--
Robert Kearey           Network Services
ITS                     University of Queensland