Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

Michael Walker <walker@hotkey.net.au> wrote in message
937403962.825594@diddley.primus.com.au">news:937403962.825594@diddley.primus.com.au...
> >Australia.Hi paul.  As someone who uses both of the tram companies. I can
> >tell you that the tram announcements are stil there.  I think that it is
> >werth pointing out that in regard to validation of tickets, they cannot
> >invade your privacy and trace anything.  The only information that they
get
> >from this is how many people are on any given tram.
> >
> >I know this because I have some friends who were envolved with the design
> of
> >the system.  I will catch you later.
> >
> Whilst this is probably the case from a legal perspective, I wouldn't be
so
> sure technically. I had heard that in trials for either the original paper
> based Metcards or either the upcoming Metcard Xpress (coming
> soon...soon...soon...well hopefully sometime before I die of old age), the
> users were traced by ticket number as to when they had used their ticket.
> This would make sense as it would be simple to track a ticket number in a
> database I would have thought.
>
> In relation to the situation re tracing tickets by ticket number I can't
see any problem with this.  The reason that I can't see any problem with
this is because under the Franchise contracts which the new private
providers have signed that would be quite a handy caperbility for the perpos
of giving someone a metcard extension.  I will catch you later.