Re: 42220

Ronald BESDANSKY wrote in > Was this the only loco to be fitted with the
microprocessor control system
> which achieved greater tractive effort by allowing the wheels to slip
> slightly when accelerating? Or is it commonplace nowadays?

It is common place, most locos (moden) if not all have this system or
similar.

> What effect does it have on rail wear?

Loco wheels and carriage wheels are made of a metal which wears before the
rail, so the wheels would perhaps wear more?

The only thing I can think of is the impact on the track as a whole, moving?