Re: 42220

Ronald BESDANSKY wrote in message ...
>Was this the only loco to be fitted with the microprocessor control system
>which achieved greater tractive effort by allowing the wheels to slip
>slightly when accelerating? Or is it commonplace nowadays?
>What effect does it have on rail wear?
>
>(I remember being surprised when I heard that the co-efficient of friction
>is greatest just AFTER the wheels begin to slip, rather than immediately
>BEFORE, which is what we were taught in physics at Uni.)
>
>Rgds
>
>Ron BESDANSKY

It is commonplace nowadays. I think you will find that all high horsepower
locos built since this time have this feature. 42220  was basically the
prototype for the 81 class.

I haven't got stats regarding rail wear. However, rail wear is obviously
better from these locos (than a loco without computer controlled wheel
slip), as there is far less chance of going into a violent wheel spin whilst
stationary, due to the computer control.

Regards,
Russ...