Re: Tailem Bend service [was Re: line extension?]

In article <7vdjo8$7r7$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:
>From: "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com>
>Subject: Re: Tailem Bend service [was Re: line extension?]
>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 12:05:01 +1000

>Notagunzel <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>i3iQ3.67$Y62.2885@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:i3iQ3.67$Y62.2885@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
>> Arthur Marsh <marsh@ties.itu.ch> wrote in message
>> 38115F82.DE583773@ties.itu.ch">news:38115F82.DE583773@ties.itu.ch...
>>
>> > The Tailem Bend passenger service proposal rated a mention in a recent
>> > issue of Catchpoint magazine. Can anyone care to elaborate?
>>
>> The Overland no longer stops at Tailem Bend.
>>
>> So obviously the citizens of Tailem Bend can't be trusted with a
>interstate service.
>> |-)
>>
>> A Commuter style of operation IMHO needs to get to Adelaide station to be
>viable,
>> terminating at Keswick is too far out of town to be customer friendly.
>This is of
>> course complicated by the fact Tailem Bend is on the 'Narrow Gauge',
>whereas only BG
>> penetrates Adelaide.

>I have always wondered why AN never contracted with TransAdelaide to divert
>the occasional train through the Keswick AN station - not everyone, a few
>just after an arrival, a few in the hour or so prior to a departure. Would
>have been easy enough to do.

>--
>DaveProctor
>thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au

Cant be done , without a lot of stuffing around.
Whilst all the platform tracks are dual guage, there is no BG connection from
the Goodwood End.
>From the northern end , ie the Adelaide End , the only BG way in is from up
trains coming off the Port Adelaide or Gawler lines , via the Gaol Loop
triangle.
You could get in from Goodwood , by reversing just after Mile End station.
However , if the intention is to allow STA trains to run from Keswick Terminal
into Adelaide Station,then the only way currently is to head out to Woodville
and then reverse.
Pretty messy.

MD