Re: [WA] Zanthus collision 18 Aug

In article <dlpS3.1940$YE2.4194@ozemail.com.au> "Bill McNiven" <wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: "Bill McNiven" <wmcniven@gunzel.ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: [WA] Zanthus collision 18 Aug
>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 08:38:33 +1000

>from http://www.news.com.au today ...

>Train crash inquiry blames human error
>By ANDREA MAYES of AAP
>30oct99

>Human error was responsible for an Indian-Pacific train crashing into a
>stationary freight train and injuring 45 passengers, an independent
>investigation into the accident has found.

>The crash happened on August 18 this year when the Perth-bound
>Indian-Pacific was accidentally diverted into a loop line at Zanthus, about
>200km east of Kalgoorlie, where a freight train was standing.

>Of those injured, 21 were flown to Kalgoorlie Hospital by the Royal Flying
>Doctor Service for treatment.

>Both locomotives and several Indian-Pacific carriages were badly damaged.

>Director-General of WA's Transport Department Mike Harris said the
>investigation had concluded that human error was responsible and that the
>rail safety system had not been capable of rectifying the error.

Its amazing the spin that can be put on the outcome of an inquiry to make it
look good.
Any "Rail  Safety System" that allows a set of facing points to be
reversed whilst a train on a main line is approaching them isnt a rail safety
system at all.
Every Rail safety system that I am aware off that utilizes power points on
main lines , at least implements approach locking of the points to ensure that
the above situation cannot occurr.
Just about every rail accident is in some way attributable to human error,and
the reason we have safeworking is to eliminate , as far as possible the
effects of human error, after all if humans were error free, then we wouldnt
need safeworking.
It will be interesting to see what is done to fix this .
At the least track circuiting of the approach to the loops , approach  locking
and approach signals or point indicators are  the minimum that is needed.

MD