Re: [WA] Zanthus collision 18 Aug

--
Ray McDermott   raymcd@ozemail.com.au
Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.355.381A88C7@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.355.381A88C7@commslab.gov.au...

> Its amazing the spin that can be put on the outcome of an inquiry to make
it
> look good.
> Any "Rail  Safety System" that allows a set of facing points to be
> reversed whilst a train on a main line is approaching them isnt a rail
safety
> system at all.

Agreed!  AFAIK, all loops on TAR are ftted with power operated points and
searchlight signals.  I visited the then ANR control centre a few years ago
and  engineer explained system as follows:
The searchlight is merely a point indicator:
Flashing Green = Main
Flashing Yellow = Loop
Flashing Red = Points not set correctly
Trains ordered to take loop let themselves in and out by push-button
switches. He did not mention track-circuits. I am not sure by what means
arrival-end points reverse after the train is in the loop.    Simple
axle-count system comprising  proximity detectors and industrial PLC is used
to check that complete train is out before resetting departure end points.
They planned a more elaborate system with remote point operation etc when
the fibre-optic cable was installed however this was not proceeded with (no
money?).

The IP train order would have specified the Main and you can see the point
indicators from 10 km away at night so I wonder why the driver did not query
the indication.  There is complete radio communication available on the TAR
During long cab ride I noted that drivers advised each other of location
when approaching for a cross.  Seems IP driver must accept some blame.

Question:  Are Main Line Indicators at NSW crossing loops controlled by
track circuits as well as points position??

Ray .