Re: WCR leasing R766?

Michael (mk@netstra.com.au) wrote:
> david said on 29-Oct-1999 in <38194872.93AB1C49@nmit.vic.edu.au>:

> >Agreed, No need to compare with the UK, just QLD !

> Why do we need to compare with everywhere? Each state/country is different in
> it's own way.

I don't see any criticism of QR spending taxpayers money restoring
everything in sight. :)

> As far as R700 and R766 goes, I would like to see R766 being the loco converted
> to a "Super R" standard, while keeping R700 as original as possible. This being
> because R700 is the class leader.

And R766 is already more heavily modified than any other preserved R.

> I would personally like to see H220 brought back to a servicable state. In the
> museum, it's just sitting rusting away, on the rails it could be appreciated by
> a wider range of people, whilst doing something useful.

This is probably the prime contender for a standard gauge conversion. It
would be pointless restoring her to broad gauge as she could only be
turned in Melbourne and Geelong. ON standard gauge, she could be turned at
Ararat, Adelaide, Perth, Albury, Sydney, Brisbane......

> Adding to that, I do believe we also need a wider range of locomotives, people
> get sick of the same 4 classes all the time (R, K, J, D3).

Don't forget the Y!

Cheers
David