Re: WCR leasing R766?

James Brook wrote:

>     How come people in Victoria seem to think that we can copy the UK. I remember a
> proposal several years ago to build a new S class steam locomotive. In the brochure
> that asked for donations it said that the UK can do it so why can't we. The amount of
> steam preservation that currently goes on in Britain isn't feasible in Victoria, we
> simply don't have the resources.

Agreed, No need to compare with the UK, just QLD !

>     What about R707? Surely the preservation groups can work together.
>
> > > R707 is sitting, ready for use in the west block right next door to
> > Steamrail!
> >
> > Owned by a different preservation group.
>
>     The different preservation groups should work together to ensure that the limited
> resources in Victoria are used effectively. What's wrong with sharing the locomotives
> between different preservation groups. The sort of petty bickering that currently goes
> on between societies is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't achieve anything.

Any number of people will tell us that 707 and steamrail are different groups. And they
cannot tell us why the are split. AS with any human based club - we differ. I imagine
preservation groups while having a common cause, can differ in many areas ( otherwise we
might have has one big group )

766 is privetly owned by a small gorup of people I believe, and what they do is their
right. Steamrail only has one "R".

It will be great to have 700 on the rails, working.

As for 707, arn't they considering restoring their second R as a SG engine and take out
hudson to the other states showing them what a  modern mainline loco is !

( BTW I have been to Yuri's site and seen  711 on it's initial testing, grey boiler etc and
all. HMM could we build a "S" look a like out of a R ???

>     The future of WCR isn't certain. While they may be going along ok at the moment
> anything could happen. If this happens, R711 and R766 would either end up rusting or

Anything could happen, even to STEAMRAIL etc - the locos could be scrapped by a liquidator
- who knows.

Regards,
David Head