Re: WCR leasing R766?

david said on 29-Oct-1999 in <38194872.93AB1C49@nmit.vic.edu.au>:

>Agreed, No need to compare with the UK, just QLD !

Why do we need to compare with everywhere? Each state/country is different in
it's own way. Personally, I see, the more steam locos going the better, even if
they have to be severely modified to be up to today's standards (in regards to
both safety and expenditure). After all, what's the use of a steam loco if you
can't afford to run it?

As far as R700 and R766 goes, I would like to see R766 being the loco converted
to a "Super R" standard, while keeping R700 as original as possible. This being
because R700 is the class leader.

On R711, I think the blue livery looks superb, but I do admit that the WCR logo
on the tender goes overboard a little bit. Perhaps a smaller version in the
corner, with "West Coast Rail" written along the bottom of the tender would
look a little less radical while still advertising the company that runs it?

I would personally like to see H220 brought back to a servicable state. In the
museum, it's just sitting rusting away, on the rails it could be appreciated by
a wider range of people, whilst doing something useful.

Adding to that, I do believe we also need a wider range of locomotives, people
get sick of the same 4 classes all the time (R, K, J, D3).

Admittedly it all costs money, so you just need to know how to raise more of
it. I'm sure trips like the F class tour of a few weeks ago brought in a little
bit, and I am also sure it could have even made more than your regular
specials. Run more unusual specials, keep people interested, do what appeals to
the person, and they will always appreciate it.

>As for 707, arn't they considering restoring their second R as a SG
>engine and take out hudson to the other states showing them what a
>modern mainline loco is !

And there is also aparently a gunzel, who has threatened to oxy the tyres off
any vic. steam loco that gets "standardised" :) I don't know if that claim is a
myth or it really is true though, perhaps someone can enlighten me more :)

Regards
Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski