Re: WCR leasing R766?

    How come people in Victoria seem to think that we can copy the UK. I remember a
proposal several years ago to build a new S class steam locomotive. In the brochure
that asked for donations it said that the UK can do it so why can't we. The amount of
steam preservation that currently goes on in Britain isn't feasible in Victoria, we
simply don't have the resources.

David Bromage wrote:

> James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> >     I really hope they don't convert R766. I like the locomotive the way it is at
> > the moment. If WCR want another "super R" ("R2" is the name I give to it. <g>)
> > then why don't they get R700 and convert it? R766 has already been restored and
> > is currently close to its original condition.
>
> Since when does red paint, name plates, air ride seats, extended bunker,
> Hasler speed recorder, 26-L brake and twin turbo generators constitute
> "original condition"?

    I said close to original condition. These are only minor alterations. This is
nothing like putting in a double stack, oil burning equipment, power reverser and a
second air compressor.

> >     The number of R class locomotives being returned to service is
> ridiculous.
>
> Why?

    Look at other post of mine in this thread.

> > Why does Steamrail need two (or more) R class locos anyway?
>
> For backup. Why would it need three Ks?

    What about R707? Surely the preservation groups can work together.

> > R707 is sitting, ready for use in the west block right next door to
> Steamrail!
>
> Owned by a different preservation group.

    The different preservation groups should work together to ensure that the limited
resources in Victoria are used effectively. What's wrong with sharing the locomotives
between different preservation groups. The sort of petty bickering that currently goes
on between societies is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't achieve anything.

> > service is the absolute limit. In Victoria there are extremely limited
> resourc
> es
> > in volunteer labour, materials and funding to restore and maintain steam
> > locomotives.
>
> WCR aren't volunteers.

    The future of WCR isn't certain. While they may be going along ok at the moment
anything could happen. If this happens, R711 and R766 would either end up rusting or
purchased by preservation groups. Then we would have five R class locomotives in the
hands of volunteer organisations. I have even heard rumours of 707 operations looking
at getting another R class going. The situation in Victoria is an example of plain
stupidity. Every single organisation is doing their own thing and trying to operate
their own trains independently. They are even trying to compete with each other, eg the
ARE Portland tour and the Steamrail Sea Lake tour earlier this year (The clash was
Steamrail's fault). I went on the Portland tour but I would have liked to have gone on
the Sea Lake tour. It just doesn't make sense.

    In the future I will only reply to this thread via e-mail as I think that most of
you probably know where I stand on this issue and you are probably sick of this thread
if you aren't interested in the topic.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: