Re: Left vs Right hand side driving (Was Australian trolleybuses??? )

Krel <krel4203@netconnect.com.au> wrote in message
3813a779.1184579@news.netconnect.com.au">news:3813a779.1184579@news.netconnect.com.au...
> On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 23:03:56 +1000, Chris Brownbill
> <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:
>

> Snip......
> BTW who remembers when Sweden changed sides? (Gee, I am old).

1967

> Not sure what all the above has to do with Aus or Rail.

Beacuse it killed the street tramways in Stockholm (& possibly other
cities), though Goteborg (Gothenburg) survived by buying second-hand cars
from Austria, I think.

I remember seeing a news item about it on TV - I think they banned all
non-essential driving over one weekend. The cars & buses had had the
steering wheel on the left for abt the previous 10 years. Don't know what
they did about the buses' doors - probably put all fleet renewals on hold,
then bought complete new fleets just prior to the changeover. I was there in
1973 and don't rceall any sign that the buses had been converted.

BTW, back to trolleybuses - some ex-London double-deckers were sold to spain
and operated there with an additional door on the right-hand side.

Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY