Re: Level Crossing Stupidity

One thing that I found almost unbelievable on my first trip to Melbourne was the
number of level crossings on suburban streets, the Bell St one being very
prominent.  There are a few in the back streets here at Wollongong, but any busy
road which hitherto would have had a level crossing has long since had an
overpass constructed or has been bypassed.  As for Bell st, a level crossing on
a multi-lane suburban road, that would be just unheard of up here.

Simon

Johann Fan wrote:

> L & D <daisyw@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> 380B20B1.529CC104@ozemail.com.au">news:380B20B1.529CC104@ozemail.com.au...
> >

> > Michael wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I believe I may have mentioned this on past occasions, but I have seen
> the
> > > stupidity that goes on, at the Bell Street / Bell Station level
> crossing,
> >
> > I remember once watching a bus sneak across the Bell St level crosing as
> the
> > booms lowered only to be left stranded (how he exited the crossing I don't
> > know as the train blocked my view, but the train driver wasn't to
> impressed)
> > and a lot of the time there were cars stoped on the crossing as the booms
> > lowered.
> >
> > Davo
> >

> > > having been committed to 6 years of secondary education within that
> > > vicinity. Then there was the accident there. A train (375M??) ran into a
> > > stationary truck. The train was going slowly, as it had to stop at Bell
> > > Station, but still did not have enough time to stop. A number of people
> on
> > > the train itself suffered minor injuries as well, for this truck
> driver's
> > > stupidity.
>
> Speaking of stupidity, this morning, the track circuit didn't pick up the
> Glen Wav
> UP express. The train reached the signal (BLY 381, nice bright LCD) right
> before the crossing without the boom gates going down. Obviously people
> could see the train.b A driver crossing the Madden Gve decided to go as the
> boom gates went down, realised that the train was there and decided not to
> go.... half of the car on the down line... the result... one boom gate
> pushing down onto the roof of a Volvo S40... at least there wasn't a train
> on the down line :(
>
> cheers
> Johann

Simon Webb Grad IEAust
School of Electrical, Computer and Telecommunications Engineering
The University of Wollongong, Australia
ph (02) 4221 4985                Research into Better
fax (02) 4221 3236                Precision Mechanism
e mail simon_webb@elec.uow.edu.au          Performance
International +61-2-