Re: Hitachis - was Vinyl seats in Tangara carriage

Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E697D546telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E697D546telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...
> Hi,
>
> There is one Hitachi car in current service that still has the front
> communication door. The car being 1999T, a former D car.
>
> Do the doors still exist behind the welded panels on the front of
> most/all/some hitachi cars?
>
> How much work would be required to allow a D car to lead again? i.e. when
> the guts were removed from the cabs, was the wiring removed also, or just
> the 'controls'?
>
> For preservation sake, it would be interesting to see, after the Hitachi's
> are taken out of service, for 1M-901T-902T-2M-301D-3M remarshalled into a
> working set. I believe all the above cars are still in working service,
> (301D is now 2012T, and contains the notable pointed edges on the fluting
> at each end).
>
> I won't be too sorry to see them go out of regular commuter service, they
> are old, clunky, cold in winter, boiling in summer and possibly have the
> most uncomfortable seats of any train i've been on in Australia (with the
> exception of the hunch-back headrests in the airconditioned BE cars). I
> would however be sorry to not see at least one complete original set
> restored/kept.
>
> The Hitachis's imho, looked the nicest without the stripes on the front.
> Two weeks ago i did see one pulling into Flinders Street without the
> stripes on the front but i didnt get the number, and havent seen it since
> :( It was running on a Bayside line.
They looked good shiny and new - with no stickers and junk on them, back
when the Taits and Harrises ruled the roost. I also think the tea-cup orange
comengs with their deep red seats and red carpet looked wonderful when brand
new. The formation of the Met was a downhill from train colour schemes. It
reminds me that when the City Loop was opened in 1980 there was such a lot
of optimism about rail transport in Melbourne. What a shame it passed.