Hitachis - was Vinyl seats in Tangara carriage

> In all seriousness though, has anyone here experienced the vinyl pad seats
> in the hitachi's before they went to fabric? What were they like for
> comfort compared to the fabric seats of now? Sometimes i feel as if i'd
> rather stand up when travelling in a Hitachi. It also seems the seats were
> designed for anorexic midgets, when you have a whole seat bay filled with
> people it's extremely squashy.
I hated the old hitachi seats - they were a work of modern art and you
really felt you were living in the seventies - but were really
uncomfortable. They were the first of the seat panels I remember seeing
thrown along the line - does anyone recall whether it was easy to dislodge
them? Also they used to have DT hitachis, 2 car sets and doors in the driver
compartments. This is the time when I would say Melbourne practice was
closest to Sydney - maybe that is why they changed. The facial surgery on
the hitachis didn't really work - they never looked as good afterwards. But
what the heck, they're only trains.