Re: Hitachis - was Vinyl seats in Tangara carriage

Hi,

There is one Hitachi car in current service that still has the front
communication door. The car being 1999T, a former D car.

Do the doors still exist behind the welded panels on the front of
most/all/some hitachi cars?

How much work would be required to allow a D car to lead again? i.e. when
the guts were removed from the cabs, was the wiring removed also, or just
the 'controls'?

For preservation sake, it would be interesting to see, after the Hitachi's
are taken out of service, for 1M-901T-902T-2M-301D-3M remarshalled into a
working set. I believe all the above cars are still in working service,
(301D is now 2012T, and contains the notable pointed edges on the fluting
at each end).

I won't be too sorry to see them go out of regular commuter service, they
are old, clunky, cold in winter, boiling in summer and possibly have the
most uncomfortable seats of any train i've been on in Australia (with the
exception of the hunch-back headrests in the airconditioned BE cars). I
would however be sorry to not see at least one complete original set
restored/kept.

The Hitachis's imho, looked the nicest without the stripes on the front.
Two weeks ago i did see one pulling into Flinders Street without the
stripes on the front but i didnt get the number, and havent seen it since
:( It was running on a Bayside line.

Regards
Michael