Re: level crossing near misses, was Re: problems at ringwood

Hi,

Richo said in message <381260d7@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, I therefore quote:

>What - why should the railways be punished for having roads cross them
>and for the lack of consideration of some drivers and peds.

Agreed. (Most people would agree with this one).

>I remember they once wanted to make it that trains (between Drysdale and
>Queenscliffe?) had to stop at every level crossing and wait for any
>passing cars (a couple of hundred tonnes for 1-2 tonnes) how selfish and
>ridiculous the car lobby can be.

Governments make money off roads. Consider all that petrol tax that we
never see do anything. Then look at the road tolls, especially with the
selling off of our public roads because we aparently can't afford them.
Where is all this petrol tax money going? Into their pocket.

I do admit however, that I was surprised when travelling on the Kyneton-
Heathcote road on Friday, only to see that it has finally been upgraded,
and resurfaced for much of it between Redesdale and Kyneton at least
anyway. I do also recall this road in it's old state, and the public outcry
over it's condition, considering it does get used as an alternate route to
Bendigo (Often trucks will turn off the Calder at Kyneton, continue as far
as Redesdale on this road, and turn left and run to Bendigo via Eppalock).
My only conclusion is, that it's probably a marginal seat out that way.

>Absolutely continue with grade
>separations - I know the ones between Liverpool and Campbelltown, and
>between Thirroul and Wollongong - cost a lot of money coz its flat, but
>pay long run benefits in travel time, reliability and saftey.

Melbourne need a similar project as this, but there will be some costs. A
few crossings will be almost impossible. In particular Kensington. You
cannot move the railway up or down because of a regularly used siding. The
station is also of historical value and probably covered under the national
rust. The road cannot go up or down because of two regularly used side
streets, and shops within a close proximity to the station.

The only way I could think of doing it, would be to put the railway under,
without damaging the station, and having an underground station at that
point. The grain siding entrance then will begin at the up end. Reinstate
two more tracks on the goods/special line and close off the current
suburban line, to make a bit of room for the grain siding entry point. The
station could also be located on the up side of the road overpass. But then
you will need to adress the problem of a really steep grade to Newmarket.

Does anyone else have any ideas on this problem (I will make it a bit
harder, you still need to have some sort of access to the grain siding, for
a grain train that can be up to 12 wagons long).

>Pay for barriers out of the roads budget, why should
>rail be penalised for road crossing it. The only exception being new
>rail lines across existing roads.

What about reopened lines over existing roads that orignially crossed the
railway anyway? In particular I am thinking of beyong Epping (Vic) if that
ever gets re-railed (pardon the pun).

I still doubt it will happen, the road lobby is too strong, expecially
after the run down of our railway systems practically from the 60's
onwards. Everyone is used to the convenience of a car, and wants to make it
more convenient by removing inconveniences like railways and tramways.

Regards
Michael.