Re: Award winning stuff ups in NSW

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.448.3806686B@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.448.3806686B@commslab.gov.au...
> .
> >> The Stanwell Park Viaduct (couldn't they see that coming?)
> >> redoing the bethungra spiral when they should have just spent the money
> >> getting rid of the thing - reinstating single track on a better
alignment

> >Yeah - NR did not speak to Countrylink - CL would have put the extra
money
> >in to get rid of it.
>

> Im somewhat unclear as to how you can get rid of the Bethungra Spiral
without
> increasing the ruling grade in the up direction.
> Whilst operators like Countrylink can easily cope with increased ruling
> grades,its a totall killer for freight operators like NRC .
> The usual argument that NRC can simply put more locos on every train to
get it
> over the extra grades ignores the fact that this increases the costs of
> running every train on this line and NRC are currently struggling to even
hold
> 20% of the freight.
I recall reading about these train simulations being run on the old Whitton
alignments, that if the track was strong and curves are gentle you can start
using inertia better a la TGV. I can't remember if Bethungra was one of the
places mentioned (it might have been Frampton or the generally
Goulburn-Yass) but talk of a fast freight train has been around for a long
time. I don't drive trains so I don't know how real this possibility is.
Also the economics are contingent on thing a lot of people forget - speed
and reliability.

Anyway QR have managed to find good alignments in shocking places - Drummond
Range, Eumundi and so on - bit of cash required upfront but long term
benefits