Re: (VIC) Derailment @ Elders

< Tell > <telljb@OZozemail.com.au> wrote in message
=QT=N00b2eKR+FebfE5DPNKdiTZj@4ax.com">news:=QT=N00b2eKR+FebfE5DPNKdiTZj@4ax.com...
> "Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > Firstly, I doubt the authenticity of the good Doctors claim to being the
> > only person to hold such safeworking qualifications, I know several
others
> > who could also make this claim, however this is not the point.
>
> <<Back again Bob.>>
> True, Reece Jennings was probably not the only one, he
> was reported as the first.
>
> > Now to his claim: Yes Serviceton was in many ways inefficient in its
> > handling of trains, but this still doesn't overcome the problem that the
SA
> > side of the border still hasn't got the train capacity that existed and
> > exists on the Victorian side of the border with regards to crossing
trains.
> > We are not now talking of 1970/80, its 1999 and the old SAR is still
firmly
> > in control of ARTC, Rod's examples of long delays in the Nth East only
> > confirm this view, the Train Controllers in SA are really nice blokes, a
lot
> > more helpful and freindly than Centrol ever was, but they also operate
on a
> > system that is only a shadow of what exists in the Eastern States.
>
> Yes so much has happened since the seventies, I have
> traveled some of the Vic (BG mainlines) and I still
> doubt your claim that Victoria was any more "efficient"
> at handling long trains than ANR.  Having said that, I
> was not driving them.  ;)
>
> > Just a side note to the above, the SCT train ex Adelaide often had to
split
> > into 3 parts to cross trains between Tailem Bend and the border, if this
had
> > not been done the train would have been held back at Tailem until MA5
etc
> > reached there. I recall on several occassions on PB3 having to run up
the
> > abandoned (old yard) Spur at Wolsley to cross the Westbound SCT (which
had
> > crossed preceeding trains at Leor and Kaniva Loops), the alternative
being,
> > (you guessed it), sitting at Tailem Bend until the SCT reached there.
All of
> > these trains of cause would have fitted in every loop in Victoria from
Manor
> > to Leor but not one loop in SA (except Tailem) could hold the trains
that
> > run on this track.
>
> Eh.!  Say again, split in three parts between the bend
> and the border.!  Care to elaborate on this.
>
> ----Terry Burton
> Alice Springs NT
> << remove OZ for Email reply.>>

Hi Terry,

You are probably right about Reece Jennings being the first or at least one
of very few back then.

As for the splitting of the SCT, at Keith or Wirrega it was not unknown for
the SCT to have to split into 3 peices, ie: put parts of the train in the
Silo roads and the rest in the siding (crossing loop) to cross other trains
west bound which were also to long for the loop. I have on several
occassions followed this train and being held back whilst the oncoming
trains crossed the SCT and me and then had to wait at the Intermitant
Permissive Signal whilst the V/Line crew put the SCT back together again.

As far as I know this only occurred to the SCT due to its length, this train
whilst unable to cross another long train between Tailem Bend and Wolseley,
would fit in the 1500m Victorian Loop, of cause I agree that this would not
have been possible before the Victorian CTC to Ararat was built prior to
1982.

Regards,

Bob.

PS. You won't to give up those 12 hour shifts they are bad for your health,
since I gave the deisels away I've found that I can sleep better, contrary
to some views I'm less grumppy<g> Spark jobs are limited to 8 Hours 29 Min
for DOO