Re: (VIC) Derailment @ Elders

Terry,

I'll call a truce if you do, (But You Started It)<g>

> Bob this could go on for ever.  I have a round of
> twelve hour shifts coming up, maybe we can continue
> later or maybe not.  Can I leave you with a paragraph
> from a former SAR Train Controller who was the only
> employee to also hold qualifications in all Victorian
> operating rules as well.

But I've got to have a little more to say first.

Firstly, I doubt the authenticity of the good Doctors claim to being the
only person to hold such safeworking qualifications, I know several others
who could also make this claim, however this is not the point.

Now to his claim: Yes Serviceton was in many ways inefficient in its
handling of trains, but this still doesn't overcome the problem that the SA
side of the border still hasn't got the train capacity that existed and
exists on the Victorian side of the border with regards to crossing trains.
We are not now talking of 1970/80, its 1999 and the old SAR is still firmly
in control of ARTC, Rod's examples of long delays in the Nth East only
confirm this view, the Train Controllers in SA are really nice blokes, a lot
more helpful and freindly than Centrol ever was, but they also operate on a
system that is only a shadow of what exists in the Eastern States.

Just a side note to the above, the SCT train ex Adelaide often had to split
into 3 parts to cross trains between Tailem Bend and the border, if this had
not been done the train would have been held back at Tailem until MA5 etc
reached there. I recall on several occassions on PB3 having to run up the
abandoned (old yard) Spur at Wolsley to cross the Westbound SCT (which had
crossed preceeding trains at Leor and Kaniva Loops), the alternative being,
(you guessed it), sitting at Tailem Bend until the SCT reached there. All of
these trains of cause would have fitted in every loop in Victoria from Manor
to Leor but not one loop in SA (except Tailem) could hold the trains that
run on this track.

Bob.