Re: Metcard statistics. Does it even happen?

WhaleOilBeefHooked <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
7tmdpn$jta$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7tmdpn$jta$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> James Brook <ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> 37FEB4EA.C3D09DEF@ozemail.com.au">news:37FEB4EA.C3D09DEF@ozemail.com.au...
> >     At Essendon the gate in the metcard validating machine is always
open.
> You
> > hardly ever see anyone validating their metcards here. To the average
> public
> > transport user, whats the point of validating the metcards. Once it's
> initially
> > validated (either by a metcard machine on the buses or trams or by a
> station
> > validating machine) the ticket inspectors can't tell if you have
validated
> it or
> > not.
>
> Once again, demonstrating the reason why they need manual stats - because
> the MetCard stats are unreliable.

I travelled on a tram from Burwood to the city the other day and as a point
of interest I observed roughly how many people either bought or validated
tickets.

Only about 30% of the people who got on went near either machines, it was
mid afternoon so ridership was light, so the excuse that they couldn't get
to one was zero, on that basis I guess any electronic stats would be
worthless?

Bob.