Re: Three Position Signalling

Tony Gatt <baulko@tig.com.au> wrote in message
37FA9813.D9D4D81B@tig.com.au">news:37FA9813.D9D4D81B@tig.com.au...

> > Not quite David, the Portland Dwarf was the first, Alan Hales introduced it
> > when he was Supt Safeworking. It came out as a Special instruction first,
> > then the Show Grounds was added.

> > The first instance was at Murtoa during the CTC construction when the Up
> > home at Murtoa was replaced by a colour light signal, as an intrim the "A"
> > light was used for the mainline departure and the "C" light was used to
> > access Marmalake Siding from the mainlaine , this came out as a Special
> > Instruction also.

> This is similar to the construction of the Standard Gauge at Newport.
> Post 144 (behind the box) was turned into a "point indicator" during
> construction.
> The "A" light was a marker light, the "B" light was marked "Broad Gauge Only",
> and the "C" light was marked "Standard Gauge only".

I wouldn't quite call this signal a "point indicator", it just happened that
Arms B & C applied to different gauges & was marked accordingly.  Post TOT/U8
(Up Home from Brooklyn into Tottenham B/Loop) is currently the same, the A light
is fixed, B Light applies to Standard Gauge Trains & the C Light applies to
Broad Gauge Trains.  The B & C Lights are labeled with signs the same as existed
at Post 144 @ NPT.

> This signal was completely removed sometime after the temporary loop was taken
> out..

IIRC it was when the first CBI was commissioned covering the back tracks.

Was Newport the first place where a CBI replaced a CBI?

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.