Re: Three Position Signalling

Notagunzel wrote:

> *snip*
> > This is similar to the construction of the Standard Gauge at Newport.
> > Post 144 (behind the box) was turned into a "point indicator" during
> > construction.
> > The "A" light was a marker light, the "B" light was marked "Broad Gauge Only",
> > and the "C" light was marked "Standard Gauge only".
>
> I wouldn't quite call this signal a "point indicator", it just happened that
> Arms B & C applied to different gauges & was marked accordingly.  Post TOT/U8
> (Up Home from Brooklyn into Tottenham B/Loop) is currently the same, the A light
> is fixed, B Light applies to Standard Gauge Trains & the C Light applies to
> Broad Gauge Trains.  The B & C Lights are labeled with signs the same as existed
> at Post 144 @ NPT.

This is a temporary fix however, when I first viewed the signal, I didn't look at it
as a 3 position signal, I observed it as if it was a 2 position signal (Top to left
- Fixed, Next to Right -  Broad Gauge, Disc to 'siding').

It was the best way to temporarily control trains at the time, and as the standard
gauge was not commisioned, and technically a (very long) siding, it was correct.

Signals like that used to be marked "V" & "S", but as it didn't last through until
commisioning of the line, there probably wasn't justification for it.

There are quite a few of these around now, Where the Dual Gauge splits at North
Geelong, The Home Signal is marked for Broad Gauge and Standard Gauge. IIRC, the
Normal speed ("A") is for the standard evn though it is taking the 'diverge'.

Why don't they use "V" & "S" anymore?

> > This signal was completely removed sometime after the temporary loop was taken
> > out..
>
> IIRC it was when the first CBI was commissioned covering the back tracks.
>
> Was Newport the first place where a CBI replaced a CBI?

Newport was a very strange arrangement, with a panel covering Spotswood - Laverton /
North Williamstown operated with a Lever frame in the Newport local area.

It was also the only place that I knew of that had a "blue" lever for operating a
signal. (I think it was 130 or 131 - A controlled auto on the Willy line that was
required to be placed at stop during shunting, but was forgotten as all moves were
from the frame, and it was the only signal on the panel for the move. Blue made it
easier to recognise, therefore easy to remember)
Someone may be able to correct any anomilies if I am not correct in what I have said
(David G?)

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.