Re: Alice Springs to Darwin line, but wait, there is more.!

"Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in reply to
Terry who said thus:

> > Cost recovery, well seeing that only a *fraction* of
> > the taxes paid by Australian motorists and trucks
> > actually finds its way back into the roads.  I am not
> > sure what your point is.
> > Railways pay stuff all taxes when compared with
> > cars/trucks.  Keating, remember him, he slapped an
> > excise on fuel for railways which has now been revoked
> > by those terrible Torys.!  It was peanuts compared with
> > the road impositions.

[Bob]
> Terry there you go again, what have you been drinking???<g>
>
> Tell us all so we can join in.

[Terry}
OK, the total taxes (Fed & State) collected from ALL
road users including fuel excise, sales tax, rego,
stamp duties, parts etc amount to a staggering $15.5
BILLION annually, and these figures are a couple of
years old.

The spending on roads is just under $2 BILLION.!

How many $BILLIONS does rail contribute to the coffers
per year, they were tax and excise exempt for years.?

As for the rail fuel excise, when Fed Labor was in
government they forced railways to pay a fuel excise,
it netted for the coffers around $120 to $150 million
from memory, as I said before ....peanuts.

The Libs have now removed that excise on rail.

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT
<< remove OZ for Email reply.>>