Re: terrier locomotives

Robert Lee wrote:

"Cut to save space"...

Robert,

I have looked again at my photos (the ones I can find at present!) and I am sure
that the 79 class, 93 class and even the 205 class entered traffic painted in
green. There are a number of photographs of new 205 class from the various
batches and they appear to be green. What does seem to have changed is that the
lining had been greatly simplified by the 1880's. Despite this, a number of
older locos do appear to have retained older lining for a fair period of time,
although number 13 (2-4-0) appears in simplified paint style.
A possibility for the American locos is that they may have Russion blue cladding
which was popular at this time in the US
I had another look at the photo of the 67 at Grafton, she had been used by some
contractors (cant remember who off hand) and she does appear to have remnants of
the original paintwork on her - it is anyones guess if this is original
paintwork - it mabe - or posibly the later paint has worn off..exposing the
original painting?

Incidentally, if you look at photos of the 67's, you will find that the Vale and
Morts locos are quite different....

Regarding 20N, are you certain when that photo was taken...I wonder if it is
another myth and legend thing. I know that GH Eardley  said that Browns had a
yearning for this loco but is ther any proof of this?

Anyway, it is a nice photo! I suspect that some of the GNR locos did keep their
lining for a fair while, although I am not sure if this was deliberate...the GNR
was rather strung out maintenance wise at the best of times!

I share your sentiments on the NSWRTM, except I would call my attitude disgust.
The actions of this group in letting some incredibly important rolling stock
deteriate verge, in my opinion, on criminal.
I would list some important items as:

AK417 - the only survivor of the 1890 express cars, also the first cars to enter
revenue service fitted with a lavatory. Also provides a logical step between
early bogie cars and the later express lavatory cars.

6 wheel radial - far more important than the 8 wheel radial - more typical and
also a colonial built item

Clerestory roof end platform car - actually number 2 sleeping carriage still
with original bogies

Accident van - although special purpose, it is built to the same style as the
early outside frame brake vans - and would represent this construction
wonderfully - it also has the dowel in the solebars where the centre wheels were
removed...

Personally, I would like to see number 18 "spruced up" and actually restored to
CCC condition. As she is at the moment, with a 24 class tender, she represents
nothing at all...the big E on her buffer plank was not applied to locos until
well after 1900 and I doubt any of the 17 class carried them..

The restoration on 78 is lovely, although as the 1 class tenders were rebuilt
with a new tank prior to use with them - the tender is wrong. I think the green
is spot on unlike number 18.

I know people will say why dont you do something...I have in the past....even
offered to help work out appropriate goods wagons to display...guess
what..nothing

Sadly until the RTM stop playing trains and realise there is more to our railway
history than the bloody 1960's...I will stop ranting now and get back to talking
early railways next post..

Craig