Re: Loco cab safety

In article <8225vv$4vj13@atbhp.corpmel.bhp.com.au>,

> It could be due to the radiators or air intakes on the second unit
getting
> hot air exhausted from the front unit. 81s had a similar sort of
problem in
> single line tunnels, they moved the air intakes from the angled part
of the
> roof to the side of the body.
> --
> Regards,
> Chris Stratton

I have no local knowledge, but I wanted to metion that similar problems
in America resulted in a new locomotive type being developed and they
weree nick named 'Tunnel- motors" Heavily redesigned radiators and low
down side intakes overcome this over heating problem.
All US GE Locomotives have massive overhanging 'awnings" radiators
fitted. But GE Australia say they can make do with the puny systems
fitted to NR's [ ;o)]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.