Re: Loco cab safety

Graeme,

In answer to your question. From a crew point of view (IMO) the NRs are the
best crew cabs in Australia, what I was suggesting was that in an NR you can
get back out of the cab as far as the High Tension Cabinet (CA4), which is
located way back in the vestible about 3 metres in the rear of the cab wall.

The actual cabs from the few accidents NR have had don't hold up all that
well, obviously the Robinson accident in NSW was an extreme that would have
tested a Centurion Tank, but the train v  truck accidents in SA last year
left a bit to be desired when it came to impact protection, its probably the
abundence of glass up front???

The question of NRs a reliable I'll leave upto those still working them,
(they may have improved since my days with NRC)?

Regards,

Bob.

Lineman <grime@dcsi.net.au> wrote in message 38433e15@nap-ns1">news:38433e15@nap-ns1...
> Hi Bob
> I found your comment on the NR very interesting.Are they that bad?and why.
> Lineman Graeme
> "Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> 81ts3n$2m5a$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:81ts3n$2m5a$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> > In answer to your question, NO, Cab safety is a key issue with the
union,
> it
> > is the responcibity of the RT&BU National Cab Committee, however the
rail
> > systems try to design locos and other cabs to a budget.
> >
> > Seat belts are not a serious option, we are not in a road type situation
> > here, most of the accidents I've seen of late would have resulted in
> > fatalities had the crews remained in their seats, in most cases if
you've
> > got the time its better to get out of your seat than remain there, train
> on
> > train accidents are thankfully very rare, but level crossing accidents
are
> > not and if you are going to hit something that could come through the
> > windowscreen, its better to either hit the floor or in the case of a
Spark